Go Back   Pro Tool Reviews Discussion Forums > Pro Tools Reviews Main Forum > Hardware and Misc Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Arrow Oscillating Multi-Tool Shootout Comparison

Since the patent expired on Fein's MultiMaster oscillating tool, hordes of manufacturers have thrown in with their own brand of multi-tool to see if they might offer a better value, higher performance, or more helpful feature set. So which one is best? We didn't know - so we got a hold of them all to test them out and see for ourselves. After reviewing no less than six multi-tools (nearly all of the available products on the market in fact), we have drawn several helpful conclusions on which oscillating tools perform the best and which you might want to avoid. While no single tool can be declared the winner, we try to offer helpful suggestions that show which tools cater to particular needs. These needs include build quality (ruggedness), ease of use, performance and value. We'll examine each of these throughout this multi-tool comparison shoot-out.

Discuss "Oscillating Multi-Tool Shootout Comparison here.
Read the article.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to hard_to_gauge Send a message via Skype™ to hard_to_gauge

It was fun gathering the tools for this shootout. Though I did not do the actual testing, it was fun to see how all these tools stood up to each other. Good Job on this one Everett!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Hobbyist

Default New Chicago Electric Model

For what it's worth Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric has a new model Mulifunction Tool No.67537 that seeems to correct all the short comings of the single speed model you previously tested. I was interested in getting one of these Multi tools and after reading your compairison report I was pretty set on the Dremel unit. However I got a couple gift certificates for Harbor Freight for Christmas so I looked through their sale catalog and saw this new model Multi tool that had variable speeds ( 10,000 to 20,000 ) and an arbor that had pins to hold the tools like the other brands. It was on sale for $69 complete with a plastic case, round and straight saw blades, scraper blade and hook & loop sander block with a couple pieces of sand paper. So what the heck I ordered it along with a 2 ton aluminum racing jack. Got the Multi Tool today and It is much different than the one you tested. It is slightly smaller in diameter and more rounded with a rubber like covering where you hold it. The switch works more smothly and it is quite comfortable to hold. I got a 2lb 13 0z weight on my kitchen scale. There are just 4 pins, not too tall, but they with a cupped washer seem to hold the tools quite well with out more that a firm tightening. I was very impressed with the cutting of the straight blade through a pine board, clean and qick with no pushing effort. Was a bit noisey but not terrible. Carrying case is not super sturdy, but quite adaquate, good room for the cord and two separate plastic boxes for blades, sand paper etc. Even included an extra set of carbon brushes ! Long story short I'm more impressed with this one than the Rockwell.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Hobbyist

Default New Chicago Electric Model

For what it's worth Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric has a new model Mulifunction Tool No.67537 that seeems to correct all the short comings of the single speed model you previously tested. I was interested in getting one of these Multi tools and after reading your compairison report I was pretty set on the Dremel unit. However I got a couple gift certificates for Harbor Freight for Christmas so I looked through their sale catalog and saw this new model Multi tool that had variable speeds ( 10,000 to 20,000 ) and an arbor that had pins to hold the tools like the other brands. It was on sale for $69 complete with a plastic case, round and straight saw blades, scraper blade and hook & loop sander block with a couple pieces of sand paper. So what the heck I ordered it along with a 2 ton aluminum racing jack. Got the Multi Tool today and It is much different than the one you tested. It is slightly smaller in diameter and more rounded with a rubber like covering where you hold it. The switch works more smothly and it is quite comfortable to hold. I got a 2lb 13 0z weight on my kitchen scale. There are just 4 pins, not too tall, but they with a cupped washer seem to hold the tools quite well with out more that a firm tightening. I was very impressed with the cutting of the straight blade through a pine board, clean and qick with no pushing effort. Was a bit noisey but not terrible. Carrying case is not super sturdy, but quite adaquate, good room for the cord and two separate plastic boxes for blades, sand paper etc. Even included an extra set of carbon brushes ! Long story short I'm more impressed with this one than the Rockwell.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Apprentice

Finally another person that likes Harbor Freight! In the past I have gotten some really great deals from them. We have one of their retial outlets about an hour from my house so when I make a trip that direction, they are always one of my destinations. As far as the tools from Harbor Freight, I have had mixed results with some of them but most of them have always been decent performers. I have not bought a multi-tool yet but I have borrowed two differnt models from friends. To me, this is the type of tool that you don't need to have the 400 or even a 200 dollar tool for as little as it suspect it will be used. I would go for the good and cheap one myself.

~Peace out from the The Weekend Wonder Warrior~
Old 04-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Hobbyist

Default Sears Model had cheap battery design

I bought the Sears cordless multi-tool to help remove tile backsplash in my kitchen. The battery did not last very long between charges, but it did charge up quickly. And I did think the sound was a bit loud and abrasive.

My problem was the mechanism that held the battery in the tool was cheap and within a week of pulling the battery out to recharge and re-insert into the tool, the tiny edges on the clips wore out and the tool would not hold the battery securely anymore. I would be using the tool and the battery would pop out because the clips were broken off and wouldn't hold the battery securely in the tool. I finally took it back to Sears for a full refund.

I hate spending too much money on stuff, but I have an even greater problem with buying cheap stuff that simply doesn't work right and can't provide the kind of quality I want for the money.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Novice

I used to own a Fein MultiMaster that is until it was stolen from one of my job sites and due to a certain job we had to do, I was forced into making a quick purchase of another multi too. Now granted the Multi Master is the mac-daddy one to have, I did not have time to mail order one since we don't have any local suppliers. After a quick look on the PTR site, I decided to get the Dremel. I would have to say that for only 100 bucks, it is pretty nice. I have been pleased with it and it has definitely served its purpose. I don't think the battery powered versions are that great because many time I find I used mine for extended periods of time and waiting to charge up batteries is out of the question for me.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Hobbyist

Default multi tool accessories make the tool

I got a King Canada multi tool as a present from a friend this Xmas. I used it a couple of times on a bathroom reno cutting pipes in difficult places and it worked fine. It got a real workout last week on a hardwood floor installation undercutting casings and jambs. I also used it to cut some of the fasteners to remove a piece of flooring that didn't go in right. That totalled the long blade I was using and I had to use the semi circular blade for the rest of the job. It worked well but I would have preferred the other blade in some areas. I guess I'll just have to get more blades but better ones would be preferrable. I also think that the cordless units might be something I would like better so long as they don't sacrifice power.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Look for at least one company issuing universal blade adapters soon. The accessories really make the tool in our experience.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Hobbyist

Please add the CEL Multi2PRO to this comparison, I think it will beat all the cordless ones. Oh and it has the tool adaptor