Go Back   Pro Tool Reviews Discussion Forums > Pro Tools Reviews Main Forum > Electrical Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Arrow How High Should I Mount a Light Switch?

We covered placement of outlet receptacles in another article, but we were also asked about the location of switches when wiring up a room. While the NEC doesn't specify the height of switches, it is pretty much standard procedure in most places to put them at 48" on-center. The exception would be for homes where wheelchair-accessibility is a major concern (in which case you can place them around 40").

Discuss "How High Should I Mount a Light Switch? here.
Read the article.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Apprentice

I have seen them mounted at all differnt heights. It is kind of funny because one apartment we looked at one must have been wired by a midgit because all the switches where down at knee level....knee level of a regular height person that is!

~Peace out from the The Weekend Wonder Warrior~
Old 05-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Hobbyist

One thing to watch out for is the height when placed in bathrooms with funky wall tile. You don't, for example, want to put a switch in the middle of a row of tiled chair rail.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Hobbyist

Howdy,

I have an entryway thats about 3" higher than the grade for the rest of the living area. There is a 5' partition wall off of oneside of the entryway that gives separation between the entryway itself and the kitchen area. I'm planning on installing switches on both sides of the partition wall. My question is if I can stack the gang boxes for the switches back to back inside the wall due to the difference in grade level (entryway being higher than rest of living area) or if there is another route I can take?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM

If I understand you correctly, yes. It's actually more of a convenience thing, as the height of a switch isn't regulated to the extent that you'd have any issues with an offset box on either side of the wall.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Hobbyist

iv'e wired custom homes for several years , and the best switch height is 46" from the top which is easiest to see ,but for all you middle guys that would be 44 or you bottom guys +42, one good reason for this is a sheet of drywall is 48" and your box ends up in the middle of a tape seam plus the drywaller has to cut two boards, what i do is pretend im walking into the room "in the dark" and wherever my hand goes thats where i put my switch, if the nearest stud is too far away ill use blocks to move it closer, all you need when boxing a house is a 4 foot stick and you mark all your elevations on it , it saves a lot of time, theres nothing worse to me than a home or apartment that has the plugs and switches at the wrong elevation and in the wrong place, batroom cabinets are 32" plus the backsplash kitchens 36" plus backsplash plus it's no fun having to come back and move boxes after the drywall has been hung and finished.